Share an Excel file via OneDrive
To share an Excel workbook via OneDrive, you only need to save it to your OneDrive. And then allow access to the same to your colleagues.
Once this is done, you and your team members (with whom the file has been shared) can simultaneously edit it, and you can track the changes in real time 💪
There are two ways how you can share files via OneDrive:
- By logging on to OneDrive, signing in to your account, and uploading the files there.
After you have downloaded it, sign in with your Microsoft Account details. If you don’t have one already, take out 5 minutes to create one 💭
Once you’ve set up everything, you’re OneDrive Folder will appear under your Files and Folders like this.
Now let’s see how you can save a file to OneDrive to share it.
- Look out for the Share button on the top right corner of your Excel workbook (that is to be shared).
- Click on it.
You’d see the Share dialog box as follows. If you’ve already set up your account, it’d appear here.
- Select the account where you want the workbook uploaded.
You’d then see the dialog box to Send the link as follows:
- Type in the email addresses of the recipients with whom you want to share the file.
To share the file with multiple people at the same time, add the name of one recipient, then add a semicolon before you write in the name of the second recipient ✍
- Click on the Send button.
With this, the file will be shared. And the recipients will now be able to access the shared workbooks from the link sent to them (via email)📨
Here’s another easy way to share an Excel file via OneDrive:
- Launch the OneDrive Folder on your Desktop.
- Drag and drop your Excel file into this folder.
Once you have dropped the file in the OneDrive folder, you’d see this blue icon status at first 🔁
This tells us that the file is still in the process of being uploaded. Once it turns green (like the image below), the file is now uploaded to your OneDrive account ✅
Files uploaded to OneDrive are saved on the cloud. You can access them from any Excel app on another device (like Excel mobile, or another Excel desktop app). OneDrive offers each user a storage space of up to 5 GB.
With this, you are ready to share the file with anyone you like.
- Right-click on the file from your OneDrive folder to launch the context menu.
- Click on Share.
You’ll be navigated to the following window where you can type the addresses of the recipients. And the subject Excel workbook will be shared with them 👀