Add numbers in Excel across rows and columns
Adding numbers across a column is as easy as explained above.
Can we take this the other way around? Adding numbers across rows and columns?
1. Here’s a dense pack of data with numbers and numbers.
2. We want to sum each row and each column of this data.
3. Begin by summing up the first row.
4. Activate the first empty cell where the row ends (or any other cell as you like).
5. Write the SUM formula below in the formula bar.
6. Press Enter to get the sum for this row.
7. Drag and drop it to all rows beneath.
8. Time to sum the columns.
9. Activate the cell immediately next to where the first column ends.
10. Write the SUM function as below.
11. Press Enter to get the sum for this column.
12. Drag and drop it to all the columns to the right.
13. And there you go! All rows and columns are summed up.
That’s how you can add numbers across multiple rows and multiple columns.