Other causes for external link prompt still showing
If Excel shows this prompt even after removing all external links – don’t smash the screen. Keep your calm, and we will show you some easy solutions to get this error fixed 😁
These external sources might be in Named ranges. Data Validation, Chart Titles, Conditional Formatting, or even Shapes.
The Find & Replace and Edit Links options might not work here. So we will have to check each above-mentioned option individually.
To find external links in Named Ranges,
- Go to the Formula Tab and open Name Manager.
- All Named Ranges in your spreadsheet will appear.
- Click the ‘Refers to‘ column.
- The External links will appear.
To find external links in Data Validation,
- In the case of Data Validation, it is possible it refers to a named range in your sheet.
- Looking through the Named Ranges should suffice for this part.
To find external links in Chart Titles,
- Click on the Chart Title.
- If it contains any external links, the Formula Bar will show it.
To find external links in Conditional Formatting,
- Go to Home Tab > Custom Formatting > Manage Rules.
- If there are any external links in conditional formatting, you will be able to see them here.
External links in Conditional Formatting are mainly because of the Custom Format. Checking it in the rules should solve the problem.
To find external links in Shapes,
- Press F5 on your keyboard, and the Go To dialog box will appear.
- Select Special > Objects.
- Click Ok.
All the shapes in your spreadsheet are now selected.
This might take a while, but you will get a hold of it once you begin doing it. 😉