In simple terms, Power BI slicers are visual filters.
By default, Power BI reports are interactive. Each visual on a report canvas would respond to a single click you make on a report and highlight the data relevant to what you clicked.
With a slicer, your users could choose the type of data they would like to see on the report and it would reflect immediately.
Usually, you would want to use a slicer to:
- Show important filters on the reports
- Hide unimportant or unnecessary data in the tables
- Create visually stimulating reports without repetition of data
- Make filtering easier without a drop-down list
- Make focused reports by placing the slicers next to import report visuals
Power BI slicers also have some limitations:
- Only in reports (can’t be pinned to a dashboard)
- No drill-down
- No input fields
- No visual level filters