So let’s create a ComboBox for the same list of Microsoft applications as above.
For this, you must first turn your list into a named range.
- Go to the Formulas tab.> Name Manager.
This will launch the Name Manager dialog box for you as follows:
- Click on New.
- In the New Name dialog box, enter a name for the list. We have set it to “MicrosoftApplications”. Be careful not to use a space character in the name.
- In the box for “Refers to”, create a reference to the cells containing the list (Cell A2:A8 in our example).
- Click okay and Excel turns your list into a named range.
This means you can use the name “MicrosoftApplications” to refer to this list within this particular workbook.
- Now go to the Developer Tab > Insert > ActiveX Control > ComboBox.
- Create a ComboBox of the desired height and width.
- Right-click on the ComboBox to launch the context menu.
- Choose Properties.
This will take you to a very dense menu of options – don’t lose your calm already 😵
- Lookout for the option “List Fill Range”.
- Type the name of our range “MicrosoftApplications” against it.
- And close the Properties dialog box.
- Unselect the ComboBox now by going to the Developers tab > Design Mode.
- And there you have your ActiveX Control ComboBox ready.
But that’s not it – the ActiveX Control allows you too many options to format how your ComboBox looks. For that:
- Right-click on the ComboBox to launch the Properties.
- Choose among different appearance options for changing the appearance of your ComboBox.
For example, you may set the Font to any desired font style. We are setting it to Georgia.
And there! The font style for your ComboBox changes as follows:
Similarly, you can set a style for the combo box button, choose among different border styles, and apply any color to the ComboBox.
For that, categorize the options available under the properties dialog box as shown below.
This categorizes all the options available to format a ComboBox in order.
If you want to change the appearance of your ComboBox, scroll through the options available under the head Appearance as shown above 🔍