How to delete blank rows if all cells are blank
This is what I’d call the proper way to remove blank rows. Although it’s a bit more cumbersome.
It’s more restrictive, meaning that it generally will remove less rows than the method above✂️
This way, a row will only be considered to be blank there are only empty cells in the entire row (within the columns of the data set).
In the screenshot, only 1 row is completely blank, while the other 3 highlighted rows are partially blank.
Now, to remove completely blank rows with this method, follow these steps:
1. Select the relevant columns (A, B, and C).
Make sure you select the entire columns. If you don’t, you won’t filter the entire dataset and you won’t be successful when you remove blank rows in a few seconds.
2. Go to the Data tab and click the Filter button.
And you can see the filter buttons next to each of the column headers.
3. Click the first filter button and make sure there’s only a checkmark in the Blanks checkbox.
You do that by unchecking the ‘Select All’ option before putting the checkmark in Blanks.
Now, only rows that have empty cells in column A are visible.
If you used method 1, row 2 would be considered a blank row and would be deleted🤔
4. Repeat step 3 for all other columns in the data set.
In this case, it’s only column B and C.
So, for each data column, go into the filter, uncheck ‘Select all’ and make sure there’s a checkmark in Blanks.
This leaves only the real empty rows.
5. Select all the blank rows.
6. Click the drop-down arrow below the ‘Delete’ button in the Home tab, and select ‘Delete Sheet Rows’.
And that’s how to remove blank rows in Excel -> the proper way.
7. Remove the filter by clicking the Filter button.
And your blank rows are gone!
Keep in mind the rows partially empty rows are still visible.
Pretty cool, huh?😎
Video guide: Delete blank rows
Want to watch how to remove blank rows on video instead of reading?
Then see my Youtube video and learn everything you need to know about this proper way to delete blank rows.